NC State Wellness and Recreation values the impact of movement and how physical activity plays in both personal and professional success. Research shows that physical activity has a positive impact on stress, anxiety, sleep, energy and overall health. To help increase awareness and promote regular physical activity, Wellness and Recreation launched the MOVE30 campaign.
MOVE30 is a call to action for members of the Wolfpack community to engage in 30 minutes of physical activity per day to reach the Center for Disease Control’s recommendation of 150 minutes per week. Research suggests that those who meet current recommendations experience an increase in cognitive abilities that translates to an increase in academic and professional performance. In a recently published study, researchers at NC State University found an increase in students’ GPA and the likelihood of graduation as their exercise and physical activity behaviors increased.
Join us in spreading the word and commit to MOVE30.
For ideas to Move30, check out our list below:
- Take a group fitness class.
- Exercise on the Fit Ground.
- Workout in one of the six fitness centers in the Wellness and Recreation Center.
- Go for a swim in the Casey Aquatics Center.
- Reach your goals with a personal trainer.
- Join a small group training session.
- Walk or jog on the indoor track or greenway.
- Ride a Lime Bike.
- Move while you work.
- Bring fitness to you through private group fitness classes.
- Take Eight at NC State.
- Train for the Moonlight Howl and Run and Veterans Day Run.
- Volunteer for MLK Day of Service with CSLEPS.
- Relieve stress in the Combat Room.
- Work with a certified health coach.
- Climb the indoor climbing wall
- Participate on the challenge course.
- Take part in an outdoor adventures trip or rental program
- Go for a walk through the NC State campus.
- Play one of more than 40 intramural sports.
- Take competition to the next level and join a club sport.
- Play a game of pick-up basketball, volleyball, or ultimate Frisbee
- Play a racket sport: badminton, tennis, racquetball or squash.
- Test your skills on the NC State disc golf course.
Move30 for Stress ManagementNovember 5, 2019
Certified Wellness Coach, Zack Jenio ‘22, explains why moving 30-minutes a day is beneficial for stress.
Move30 Brings Confidence and EmpowermentNovember 5, 2018
Katherine Mansfield ‘20 has transitioned from not knowing her place in the gym to teaching and inspiring others as a group fitness instructor.
Five Ways Physical Activity Can Positively Impact Anxiety and DepressionOctober 1, 2018
There are a number of resources and opportunities for students on campus to alleviate these feelings, including a remedy you may not think about--physical activity.