Our aquatics program offers various American Red Cross courses throughout the year to NC State students and Carmichael Complex members.
For class registration, please visit Member Services, located in the Casey Aquatic Center.
For additional information, please contact:
Wellness and Recreation Aquatics
P: (919) 515-1391
Lifeguarding (Blended Learning Format)
Course length: 19.5 hours
The blended-learning lifeguard course builds the same knowledge and skills as the traditional in-person training. The online format includes interactive lessons and activities that can be completed on your own time before the start of the first session date. Instructor-led sessions reinforce the learning and the practical skill-building portion of the class.
Three-day course. Please register by Monday, April 1.
|Friday, April 5||5:30 – 8:30 p.m.|
|Saturday, April 6||9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m|
|Sunday, April 7||10:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.|
Lifeguarding review classes are designed to help you update your skills while also extending your certification another two years. You must have a valid American Red Cross Lifeguard certification or one that has expired within 30 days.
- Successfully complete the prerequisites.
- Attend and actively participate in all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Score a minimum of 80 percent on the instructor course final written exam.
- Individuals in the Lifeguard (blended learning format must successfully complete the online sessions before the start of class).
- Must be at least 15 years of age by the end of the training
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both.
- Tread water for two minutes using only the participant’s legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds without goggles.
- Starting in the water the participant will swim 20 yards to retrieve a 10-pound object at a depth of 10 feet by either performing a feet-first surface dive or a head-first surface dive.
No refund will be issued for if you are unable to pass the prerequisite skills evaluation and/or the lifeguarding re-cerfitication course.