Updated: August 7, 2020
Pending restrictions are lifted for gyms and fitness centers as part of the state’s reopening plan, Carmichael anticipates reopening Saturday, September 12 for fitness and recreation use.
We continue to communicate and work with university and health officials to help ensure a safe on-campus environment. The health and well-being of our campus community remain a top priority.
Carmichael operations will follow the State of North Carolina’s Interim Guidance for Fitness Center and Gym Settings with Limited Operations and university procedures.
Fall 2020 Academic Class Access
Beginning Monday, August 10, and until restrictions are lifted, access to Carmichael is limited to students enrolled in on-campus Health and Exercise Studies and Dance program classes only, per UNC System guidance.
Students will be permitted to access the facility during their regularly scheduled class time and must enter through the Carmichael Aquatics Center entrance.
Health and Exercise Studies and Dance Program courses that are continuing face-to-face instruction may require face coverings.
Locker rooms are open and showers are available for use. Alternating shower stalls will be open to accommodate physical distancing. Towel and equipment checkout will remain unavailable.
Wellness and Recreation staff are available at the Carmichael Aquatics Center entrance weekdays from 6 a.m. – 8 p.m. to answer any questions you may have. In addition, questions can be directed to us by email at email@example.com or calling (919) 515-7529.
- Virtual group fitness classes will continue to be offered.
- In-person group fitness and F45 Training classes are expected to resume in the Fall 2020 semester and will follow all physical distancing guidelines, once the facility opens.
- Personal training will resume, once the facility opens.
- Intramural sports programming is limited to virtual offerings and in-person events that meet physical distancing guidelines.
- Club sports organizations may operate in accordance with Club Sports and university event and activity guidelines.
- Wellness coaching, workshops and programs will continue as virtual offerings.
- The indoor climbing wall will resume under modified hours of operation in the Fall 2020 semester, once the facility opens.
- The Outdoor Adventures Equipment Rental Center will operate by appointment only. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (919) 513-0072 to schedule an appointment, once the facility opens.
- Private swim lessons will not be offered.
- Outdoor Adventures trips will be limited to on-campus activities at Lake Raleigh.
- Challenge course programs at Schenck Forest will not be offered, but virtual teambuilding programs are currently being scheduled.
Wellness and Recreation will continue our WellRec at Home virtual programs through the Fall 2020 Semester. Some of our offerings include:
Miller Fields and Outdoor Tennis Courts Hours of Operation
Miller fields will open for academic classes and open recreation space for students. The FitGround will remain closed for open recreation.
Due to inclement weather, poor field conditions or lightning in the area, fields will temporarily close.
|Monday – Friday||6 a.m. – 8 p.m.|
|Saturday – Sunday||10 a.m. – 7 p.m.|
Carmichael Hours of Operation
Facility Hours of Operation (starting Saturday, September 12, pending restrictions are lifted):
|Monday – Friday||6 a.m. – 9 p.m.|
|Saturday – Sunday||10 a.m. – 7 p.m.|
Hours are subject to change following state and university guidance.
Guest passes will not be available until further notice.
In general, Carmichael is using 25 percent occupancy levels for activity spaces.
The aquatics center, climbing wall, fitness centers, locker rooms, performance studios, Miller Fields and outdoor tennis courts are available for use.
We have reorganized and repurposed activity space to encourage physical distancing. Some spaces, such as basketball courts and studios have been repurposed as fitness centers.
To safely limit the number of individuals in activity spaces (fitness centers and swim lap lanes), users are encouraged to reserve space in advance. Once the maximum occupancy limits are reached, no additional users may register and/or enter the activity space during the specified time. Students and members can reserve spaces using the WellRec App.Carmichael Gym Reopening Map
The following spaces will be available to reserve throughout the day on the Wellness and Recreation App:
- Pool lap lanes for rec swim
- Carmichael Gym Fitness Center 1201 and 1202
(Equipment available: 10 treadmills, 4 ellipticals, 1 arm ergometer, 2 stepmills, weight machine line, free weights/benches, squat racks, heavy lifting flooring)
- Carmichael Gym Courts 2 and 3 Fitness Space
Equipment available: 4 rowers, 5 bikes, 8 ARC trainers, 12 ellipticals, 4 curve treadmills, Ab space for 15 users)
- Carmichael Gym Fitness Center 1308 and 2306
(Equipment available: squat racks, cable machines, weight machine line, free weights/benches)
- Recreation Center Fitness Space – Third Floor
(Equipment available: 9 treadmills, 1 stepmill, 1 arm ergometer, 1 bike, 1 ARC trainer, 5 squat racks, cable machines, weight machine line, free weights/benches, Ab and Core space in Studio D (second floor)).
- Students and members will be able to reserve access to fitness centers for one hour and fifteen minutes blocks. Fitness centers will close for cleaning and disinfecting between each reservation time.
- Aquatics center swim lap lane reservations will last 45 minutes and start at each hour.
- Reservations will open at 6 a.m. for the next day.
- If a reservable time slot is full, you will be able to register for the waitlist. You will be notified within 1 hour of your registration time if you have secured a spot.
- Reservations are strongly encouraged but not required. We anticipate reaching maximum occupancy for activity spaces during peak times each day.
How to Download the Wellness and Recreation App
- Go to the app store on your device
- Search for “NC State WellRec”
- Click “Download”
How to Reserve My Workout Time
- Open Wellness and Recreation App
- Click “Sign Up Here” widget
- Choose the time and location you wish to reserve
- Click Join Session
- If you can no longer attend the workout, please cancel your reservation at least 1 hour before the workout begins. To make a cancelation, select the session that you registered for and click “Leave Session.”
If you are having issues with your Wellness and Recreation app, please email email@example.com for assistance.
Wellness and Recreation Guidelines
- Face coverings are required to enter the facility.
- Do not visit Carmichael if you are experiencing any flu-like symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, muscle pain, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat (secondary symptom).
- Abide by all physical distancing guidelines by keeping 6 feet of distance between yourself and others.
- Do not attempt to use closed spaces or equipment marked “out of order.”
- Thoroughly wipe down equipment before and after use with disinfectant materials provided and discard trash in the designated waste receptacles.
- Adhere to all guidelines and instructions provided by Wellness and Recreation and its employees.
- All fitness equipment must remain in place and should not be moved.
- You assume all risk and liability for your health and well-being by physically attending Carmichael despite the COVID19 pandemic.
- The hours of operation for Carmichael will include pauses for cleaning and disinfecting. Fitness centers will close every 75 minutes and the aquatic center will close every 45 minutes.
Aquatics Center Guidelines
- The shower near the 25-yard pool may be used as a rinse shower.
- Swimmers must bring their equipment. However, life jackets will be available.
- Swimmers should change clothes and shower at home. Locker room showers will remain offline.
Fitness Center Guidelines
- Thoroughly wipe down all equipment before and after use .
- Maintain 6 feet of distance between yourself and others at all times.
- Foam rollers, medicine balls, kettlebells, power bands, TRX straps, sandbags, etc. will not be provided.
- Do not use any equipment that is marked out of order.
- Adhere to all direction signage.
- Do not move adjustable benches from their designated location.
- Place ab mats directly over the designated workout area and stay in the designated space.
- Do not move cable attachments.
- No spotting will be allowed in an effort to maintain physical distancing.
The following spaces will be unavailable until further notice.
- Courts for open recreation basketball, badminton and volleyball
- Equipment Checkout
- Indoor Track
- Locker Room Showers
- Outdoor Basketball Courts
- Racquetball Courts
- Steam Room and Sauna
Cleaning and Sanitation
We have increased and updated our cleaning protocols to ensure thorough cleaning of activity spaces.
Sanitization stations are available throughout Carmichael. At entrances and at most closed-contact transaction locations, Plexiglas barriers, have been installed.
At this time, water bottle refilling stations are available, water fountains will remain offline.
Events and Reservations
Reservations and events scheduled in the Carmichael are expected to follow the NC State Operational Guidelines for Events and Activities in addition to Wellness and Recreation event and reservation guidelines. Event reservations can be made by visiting our Reservations Request page. In general, the Carmichael is using 25 percent occupancy levels for activity spaces.
Information related to NC State’s COVID-19 response can be found here.
Frequently Asked Questions
When exercising, working out, or playing sports in a university recreation facility (i.e. Carmichael), face coverings are highly recommended but are not required. However, face coverings are required and appropriate physical distancing should be maintained while moving throughout indoor recreation facilities.
Academic courses meeting inside the Carmichael may require face coverings for specific activities and classes.
Gym wipes are available for users to self-clean and disinfect fitness equipment before and after use. Fitness centers will be closed every 75 minutes for thorough cleaning and disinfecting.
As soon as we open, payroll deduction memberships and lockers will be active. Deductions will start once again on October 31, 2020.
Memberships that were active as of March 16, 2020, will be extended by the total time the facility was closed. For example, if we open September 12, Carmichael will have been closed for 180 days. Therefore, your membership will be extended by 180 days.
Due to reduced recreational offerings and space limitations in Carmichael, Family Recreation will not be available until further notice.
Wellness and Recreation does not plan to limit the number of workout time slots a person can register for each day.