Updated: July 9, 2020
Pending restrictions are lifted for gyms and fitness centers as part of the state’s reopening plan, the Carmichael Complex anticipates reopening Monday, July 20.
We continue to communicate and work with university and health officials to help ensure a safe on-campus environment. The health and well-being of our campus community remain a top priority.
Adjusted hours of operation:
|Monday – Friday||6 a.m. – 9 p.m.|
|Saturday – Sunday||10 a.m. – 7 p.m.|
Hours are subject to change following state and university guidance.
Guest passes will not be available until further notice.
The aquatics center, fitness centers, locker rooms, Miller Fields and outdoor tennis courts are available for use.
We have reorganized and repurposed activity space to encourage physical distancing. Some spaces, such as basketball courts and studios have been repurposed as fitness centers.
Users can access the Carmichael Complex through the Casey Aquatics Center and Recreation Center. The Cates Avenue entrance will remain closed.
To safely limit the number of individuals in activity spaces (fitness centers and swim lap lanes), users are encouraged to reserve space in advance. Once the maximum occupancy limits are reached, no additional users may register and/or enter the activity space during the specified time. Students and members can reserve spaces using the WellRec App.
The following spaces will be available to reserve throughout the day on the Wellness and Recreation App:
- Pool lap lanes for rec swim
- Carmichael Gym Fitness Center 1201 and 1202
- Carmichael Gym Courts 2 and 3 Fitness Space
- Recreation Center Fitness Space (Third Floor)
- Students and members will be able to reserve access to fitness centers for one hour and fifteen minutes blocks. Fitness centers will close for cleaning and disinfecting between each reservation time.
- Aquatics center swim lap lane reservations will last 45 minutes and start at each hour.
- Reservations will open at 6 a.m. for the next day.
- If a reservable time slot is full, you will be able to register for the waitlist. You will be notified within 1 hour of your registration time if you have secured a spot.
- Reservations are strongly encouraged but not required. We anticipate reaching maximum occupancy for activity spaces during peak times each day.
How to Download the Wellness and Recreation App
- Go to the app store on your device
- Search for “NC State WellRec”
- Click “Download”
How to Reserve My Workout Time
- Open Wellness and Recreation App
- Click “Sign Up Here” widget
- Choose the time and location you wish to reserve
- Click Join Session
- If you can no longer attend the workout, please cancel your reservation at least 1 hour before the workout begins. To make a cancelation, select the session that you registered for and click “Leave Session.”
If you are having issues with your Wellness and Recreation app, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Wellness and Recreation Guidelines
- Face coverings are required to enter the facility.
- Do not visit Carmichael Complex if you are experiencing any flu-like symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, muscle pain, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat (secondary symptom).
- Abide by all physical distancing guidelines by keeping 6 feet of distance between yourself and others.
- Do not attempt to use closed spaces or equipment marked “out of order.”
- Thoroughly wipe down equipment before and after use with disinfectant materials provided and discard trash in the designated waste receptacles.
- Adhere to all guidelines and instructions provided by Wellness and Recreation and its employees.
- All fitness equipment must remain in place and should not be moved.
- You assume all risk and liability for your health and well-being by physically attending Carmichael Complex despite the COVID19 pandemic.
- The hours of operation for Carmichael Complex will include pauses for cleaning and disinfecting. Fitness centers will close every 75 minutes and the aquatic center will close every 45 minutes.
Aquatic Center Guidelines
- The shower near the 25-yard pool may be used as a rinse shower.
- Swimmers must bring their equipment. However, life jackets will be available.
- Swimmers should change clothes and shower at home. Locker room showers will remain offline.
Fitness Center Guidelines
- Thoroughly wipe down all equipment before and after use
- Maintain 6 feet of distance between yourself and others at all times
- Foam rollers, medicine balls, kettlebells, power bands, TRX straps, sandbags etc. will not be provided
- Do not use any equipment that is marked out of order
- Adhere to all direction signage
- Do not move adjustable benches from their designated location
- Place ab mats directly over the designated workout area and stay in the designated space.
- Do not move cable attachments
- No spotting will be allowed in an effort to maintain physical distancing
The following spaces will be unavailable until further notice.
- Courts for open recreation basketball, badminton and volleyball
- Equipment Checkout
- Indoor Climbing Wall
- Indoor Track
- Locker Room Showers
- Outdoor Basketball Courts
- Racquetball Courts
- Steam Room and Sauna
Cleaning and Sanitation
We have increased and updated our cleaning protocols to ensure thorough cleaning of activity spaces.
Sanitization stations are available throughout Carmichael Complex. At entrances and at most closed-contact transaction locations, Plexiglas barriers, have been installed.
At this time, water bottle refilling stations are available, water fountains will remain offline.
- Virtual group fitness classes will continue to be offered.
- In-person group fitness and F45 Training classes are expected to resume in the Fall 2020 semester and will follow all physical distancing guidelines, including limited equipment sharing.
- Personal training will resume.
- Intramural sports programming is limited to virtual offerings and in-person events that meet physical distancing guidelines.
- Wellness coaching, workshops and programs will continue as virtual offerings.
- The indoor climbing wall will resume under modified hours of operation in the Fall 2020 semester.
- The Outdoor Adventures Equipment Rental Center will resume under modified hours of operation in the Fall 2020 semester.
- Private swim lessons will not be offered.
- Outdoor Adventures trips will be limited to on-campus activities at Lake Raleigh.
- Challenge course programs at Schenck Forest will not be offered, but virtual teambuilding programs are currently being scheduled.
Wellness and Recreation will continue our WellRec at Home virtual programs through the Fall 2020 Semester. Some of our offerings include:
Health and Exercise Studies Information
All Health and Exercise Studies classes will remain online for the Summer I and II sessions. In-person instruction is expected to resume Monday, August 10 for the Fall 2020 semester.
Additional information can be found by visiting the Health and Exercise Studies webpage.
Information related to NC State’s COVID-19 response can be found here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Face coverings are strongly recommended but are not required (pending state restrictions are lifted) during workouts, exercise and playing sports but are required while moving throughout the facility.
Gym wipes are available for users to self-clean and disinfect fitness equipment before and after use. Fitness centers will be closed every 75 minutes for thorough cleaning and disinfecting.
Students enrolled in Fall 2020 classes will have access to Carmichael starting Monday, July 20.
As soon as we open, payroll deduction memberships and lockers will be active. Deductions will start once again on August 31, 2020.
Memberships that were active as of March 16, 2020, will be extended by the total time the facility was closed. For example, if we open July 20, Carmichael will have been closed for 126 days. Therefore, your membership will be extended by 126 days.
Due to reduced recreational offerings and space limitations in Carmichael Complex, Family Recreation will not be available until further notice.
Wellness and Recreation does not plan to limit the number of workout time slots a person can register for each day.