Updated: October 21
Carmichael will reopen fitness centers Saturday, September 5 following the NC Department of Health and Human Services Interim Guidance for Indoor Fitness Centers and Gyms Settings (October 2, 2020). In general, Carmichael is using 25 percent occupancy levels for fitness spaces.
Wellness and Recreation Center Opening Information
The Wellness and Recreation will open select fitness center spaces for reservation beginning Monday, October 26.
The following spaces are able for fitness use:
- Wellness and Recreation Center First Floor
- Wellness and Recreation Center Second Floor
- Wellness and Recreation Center Third and Fourth Floor
Reserve your workout time on the Wellness and Recreation app.
Wellness and Recreation Facilities Hours of Operation
Wellness and Recreation Center, Carmichael Gym, Aquatic Center, Miller Fields, Outdoor Strength Training Center, Outdoor Tennis Courts
|Monday – Friday||6 a.m. – 8 p.m.|
|Saturday – Sunday||10 a.m. – 7 p.m.|
|Tuesday and Thursday||2:30 – 7:30 p.m.|
|Sunday||3:30 – 7 p.m.|
The following activity spaces are unavailable until further notice:
- Courts for open recreation basketball, badminton and volleyball
- Equipment Checkout
- Carmichael Gym Fitness Centers 1308 and 2306 (Mini-Gym)
- Indoor Track
- Outdoor Basketball Courts
- Racquetball Courts
- Steam Room and Sauna
Wellness and Recreation Guidelines
- Following NC Department of Health and Human Services guidelines, Wellness and Recreation indoor facility users are required to wear a face covering over the mouth and nose except when strenuously exercising or working out. In addition, maintain a minimum 6 feet of physical distancing between yourself and others whenever possible. Face coverings are required between sets, resting, stretching and moving within fitness centers.
People not using a face covering (outside of the exceptions noted) will be asked to put one on or leave the area to help maintain the safety of our faculty, staff and students.
- Face coverings are required if a minimum 6 feet physical distancing cannot be maintained at Wellness and Recreation outdoor facilities, including the FitGround Training Center, Miller Fields and Outdoor Strength Training Center.
- Do not visit any Wellness and Recreation facilities if you are experiencing any flu-like symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, muscle pain, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat (secondary symptom).
- People not using a face covering (outside of the exceptions noted) will be asked to put one on or leave the area to help maintain the safety of our faculty, staff and students.
- Do not attempt to use closed spaces or equipment marked “out of order.”
- Thoroughly wipe down equipment before and after use with disinfectant materials provided and discard trash in the designated waste receptacles.
- Adhere to all guidelines and instructions provided by Wellness and Recreation and its employees.
- All fitness equipment must remain in place and should not be moved.
- You assume all risk and liability for your health and well-being by physically attending Wellness and Recreation facilities despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Wellness and Recreation fitness centers will close every 75 minutes and the aquatic center will close every 45 minutes for cleaning and disinfecting.
Fitness Center Guidelines
- Thoroughly wipe down all equipment before and after use.
- Maintain 6 feet of distance between yourself and others at all times.
- Foam rollers, medicine balls, kettlebells, power bands, TRX straps, sandbags, etc. will not be provided.
- Do not use any equipment that is marked out of order.
- Adhere to all direction signage.
- Do not move adjustable benches from their designated location.
- Place ab mats directly over the designated workout area and stay in the designated space.
- Do not move cable attachments.
- No spotting will be allowed in an effort to maintain physical distancing.
Available Activity Space
To safely limit the number of individuals in Wellness and Recreation fitness centers, users are encouraged to reserve space in advance through the Wellness and Recreation app. Reservations are open in 75-minute increments.
Wellness and Recreation Center First and Second Floor
Plate-loaded strength line, 5 squat racks, dumbbells (5-100 lbs.), preacher curl
4 treadmills, 2 bikes, 2 ellipticals
NOTE: Reservation is not required for the second floor of the Wellness and Recreation Center.
Wellness and Recreation Center Third and Fourth Floor
3 stepmills, 11 treadmills, 10 elliptical, 6 bikes, 2 rowers, selectorized line, sprint ramp, functional fitness rig, 4 benches, dumbbells (5-30 lbs.), 2 adjustable dumbbell sets (up to 90 lbs.), functional/ab equipment
Carmichael Gym Fitness Centers
Fitness Center 1201
7 treadmills, 1 arm ergometer, 1 stepmill, 4 squat racks, weight machine line, dumbbells (5 – 50 lbs.)
Fitness Center 1202
Free weights/benches, squat racks, heavy lifting flooring
Fitness Center Courts 2 and 3
4 rowers, 5 bikes, 8 ARC trainers, 12 ellipticals, 4 curve treadmills, Ab space for 15 users
Outdoor Strength Training Center
The outdoor basketball courts, located adjacent to Miller Fields along the greenway, have been repurposed as a weight training center.
Incline Bench Presses, Flat Bench Presses, Weight Plates, Dumbbells, Weighted Bars, Adjustable Benches
How to Download the WellRec App
- Go to the app store on your device
- Search for “NC State WellRec”
- Click “Download”
- Users can register for programs and facility spaces in an ad-free environment.
- Click the “Fitness/Swim” widget to register for your workout.
- As a courtesy to others, we ask users to limit reservations to one fitness center per time slot and limit reservations to a specific fitness center to one per day. Users that repeatedly do not show up for their designated workout time, or make excessive registrations may lose the ability to register.
- Users who are more than 15 minutes late for their scheduled workout time will forfeit their spot. At that time, available spots will be at a first-come, first-serve basis until maximum occupancy is reached for that time period.
- If you are unable to attend, please remove yourself from the session no later than 1 hour before your workout time starts.
- Students and members will be able to reserve access to fitness centers for one hour and fifteen minutes blocks. Fitness centers will close for cleaning and disinfecting between each reservation time.
- Reservations will open at 6 a.m. for the next day.
- If a reservable time slot is full, you will be able to register for the waitlist. You will be notified within 1 hour of your registration time if you have secured a spot.
- Reservations are strongly encouraged but not required. We anticipate reaching maximum occupancy for activity spaces during peak times each day.
The Climbing Center at the Wellness and Recreation Center is open for roped climbing and bouldering.
Climbers must register for a 60-minute time slot on the Wellness and Recreation App.
Climbers are expected to wear face- coverings at all times.
Miller Fields and Outdoor Tennis Courts
Miller fields will open for recreation space. Soccer goals will be available for use on Tuesday – Thursday from 5 – 8 p.m.
Due to inclement weather, poor field conditions or lightning in the area, fields will temporarily close.
Casey Aquatic Center
Lap lanes are limited to one person at all times.
To safely limit the number of individuals in the Aquatic Center, users are encouraged to reserve space in advance through the Wellness and Recreation app.Aquatic Center Hours
FitGround Training Center
The FitGround Training Center, located on Miller Fields, provides an opportunity for those looking to engage in bodyweight or functional fitness workouts.
The FitGround is open for fitness and recreation use without a reservation, during Carmichael hours of operation.
Carmichael Gym Reopening Map
We offer more than 30 different group fitness classes during the week, designed to get you moving.Group Fitness Schedule
From hiking at Lake Raleigh Woods to canoeing and kayaking, get outside and explore endless opportunities on NC State’s Campus.Get Outside
Outdoor Adventures Equipment Rentals
Rent select Outdoor Adventures equipment by scheduling an appointment at our Outdoor Adventures Equipment Rental Center.Outdoor Equipment Rentals
Cleaning and Sanitation
We have increased and updated our cleaning protocols to ensure thorough cleaning of activity spaces.
Sanitization stations are available throughout Carmichael. At entrances and at most closed-contact transaction locations, Plexiglas barriers, have been installed.
We continue to communicate and work with university and health officials to help ensure a safe on-campus environment. The health and well-being of our campus community remain a top priority.
Non-student members can reactivate their membership to participate in Wellness and Recreation programs and services. With reactivation, members have access to the following Wellness and Recreation programs and services including:
- Wellness and Recreation Center Fitness Centers
- Carmichael Gym Fitness Centers
- Outdoor Strength Training Center
- Aquatics Center lap lanes
- In-person group fitness classes
- Personal training
- Locker rooms
- Outdoor tennis courts
To reactivate your membership visit our Member Services located inside the Aquatics Center entrance Monday – Friday 6:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Memberships will remain inactive until users visit Member Services to reactivate their membership.
Carmichael Member Payment Information
- Memberships that were active as of March 16, 2020, will be extended by the total time the facility was closed.
Events and Reservations
Reservations and events scheduled in the Carmichael are expected to follow the NC State Operational Guidelines for Events and Activities in addition to Wellness and Recreation event and reservation guidelines. Event reservations can be made by visiting our Reservations Request page. In general, the Carmichael is using 25 percent occupancy levels for activity spaces.
Frequently Asked Questions
Following NC Department of Health and Human Services guidelines, face coverings are required at Wellness and Recreation indoor facilities except when strenuously exercising or working out. Face coverings are required between sets and while resting, stretching and moving within fitness centers.
Face coverings are required if minimum 6 feet physical distancing cannot be maintained at Wellness and Recreation outdoor facilities, including the FitGround Training Center, Miller Fields and Outdoor Strength Training Center.
Gym wipes are available for users to self-clean and disinfect fitness equipment before and after use. Fitness centers will be closed every 75 minutes for thorough cleaning and disinfecting.
Memberships and lockers that were active as of March 16, 2020, will be extended by the total time the facility was closed. For example, with a September 5, reopening, Carmichael will have been closed for 173 days. Therefore, your membership will be extended by 173 days from the day you reactivate your membership and locker.
Memberships and lockers will remain inactive/frozen until users choose to reactivate.
Reactivate your existing membership by visiting Member Services, located in the lobby of the Aquatic Center, weekdays from 6 a.m. – 8 p.m. and weekends from 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
As a courtesy to others, we ask users to limit reservations to one fitness center per time slot and limit reservations to a specific fitness center to one per day. Users that repeatedly do not show up for their designated workout time, or make excessive registrations may lose the ability to register.
Users who are more than 15 minutes late for their scheduled workout time will forfeit their spot. At that time, available spots will be at a first-come, first-serve basis until maximum occupancy is reached for that time period.
Face coverings are required while playing sports when a minimum 6 feet physical distancing cannot be maintained. This includes during doubles play for badminton, tennis and table tennis.
Following NC Department of Health and Human Services guidelines, sports activities for which participants cannot maintain physical distancing and close contact is frequent and/or prolonged are limited to athletic conditioning and drills where athletes are not playing the actual sport, itself.
These sports include basketball, football, rugby and lacrosse.