The Move to Learn Virtual Run/Bike event on Sunday, August 9 encourages the NC State community to get moving outside while exploring impactful locations around Raleigh that bring awareness and knowledge to the challenges that our marginalized populations face on campus, and in our local community.
Use our suggested routes or create your own, to get in a great outdoor workout while visiting historical markers, gardens, churches, and other important locations in local Black history.
This is a free event. Registration will open at 6:00 a.m. Sunday, August 9 on the Wellness and Recreation mobile app. NC State students and faculty/staff members can select a time slot to pick up their event water bottle on Tuesday, August 11.
Share your experience with us! Tag @NCStateWellRec and use #NCStateWWW.
- Beginning at 6:00 a.m. Sunday, August 9, participants can register for a time slot to pick up their Move to Learn water bottle
- Participants must be able to pick up their water bottle in person at Miller Fields on Tuesday, August 11 and water bottles will be limited to 500 participants.
- Please run/walk safely by following all traffic laws, obeying crosswalk signals, and staying aware of vehicles and others around you
- Maintain physical distancing guidelines by keeping at least 6 feet away from others
- Wear a face covering when physical distancing cannot be guaranteed
- Respect the outdoor areas, including disposing of trash properly
Downtown Raleigh Suggested Routes
- Downtown Raleigh Long Route – 5.5 Miles
- Downtown Raleigh Short Route – 2.5 Miles
- Find more information about the significance of each checkpoint at visitRaleigh’s African-American Heritage Attraction page
NC State Main Campus Suggested Route
- NC State Campus Route – 2.5 Miles
- Find more information about the significance of each checkpoint at NC State University Libraries’ Red, White, and Black page
- Suggested Video: Why Are White People So Bad At Talking About Race?
- Suggested Audio: Brene Brown with Ibram X. Kendi on How to be an Anti-Racist
- Suggested Reading: White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack and Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor
- Red, White & Black: Commemorating Black History at NC State
- Campus Resources: Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity
How to Register
Download the Wellness and Recreation Mobile App
- Step 1: Download the NC State Wellness and Recreation mobile app by going to either the Apple App Store or Android Google App Store on your device. Search for “NC State WellRec” and click “Download.”
- Step 2: Open the app, click “Create Account”, and fill out the requested information including your NC State email address. Hit “Next.”
- Step 3: Type “NC State” into the top search bar and select “NC State,” then complete the rest of the form and click “Create Account.”
- Step 4: You will be sent an activation email. Click the link in the email to login and activate your IMLeagues account.
Register for Move to Learn Virtual Run/Bike
- Registration opens at 6:00 a.m. Sunday, August 9. We encourage participants to walk/run early in the morning or in the evening to keep cool.
- Step 1: Open the NC State Wellness and Recreation mobile app and login.
- Step 2: Click the arrows symbol in the top right corner and select the “WellRec At Home” network.
- Step 3: Click “Virtual Events” and then “Move to Learn Virtual Run/Bike.”
- Step 4: Click “Create Team” and then “Select Division.”
- Step 5: Select at time slot to pick up your t-shirt Sunday, August 9 in-person at Miller Fields. If the division is locked, please select a different time that has open slots. If all time slots are full, please select “Waitlist” to get notifications if t-shirts become available.
- Step 6: Click “Create Team” again. Type your first and last name in the “Enter Team Name” blank and click “Create Team” once more. You can leave the rest of the settings as is, they will not affect your registration.
Join NC State Wolfpack Strava Club (Optional)
- Strava is a mobile app that records your running/walking workouts using GPS data. Once you download the app, you will be able to join the NC State Wolfpack club on Strava and share your workouts with the Wolfpack community.
- Step 1: Download the Strava mobile app by going to either the Apple App Store or Android Google App Store on your device. Search for “Strava” and click “Download.”
- Step 2: Open the app and create your own personal account. You can Connect your Strava account to your Facebook, Google, or Apple accounts, or sign up with your email and create a password.
- Step 3: Join the NC State Wolfpack club. Click “Explore” on the bottom menu bar, then click “Clubs” near the top of the screen. Type “NC State Wolfpack” in the search bar, then select “NC State Wolfpack” club and click “Join.”
- Step 4: You are now ready to record your workouts. To start your workout, click “Record” on the bottom menu bar and select the appropriate sport (run, walk, etc.). Click “Start” to begin recording and then “Finish” and “Save Activity” at the end.