Wellness and Recreation FAQs

Club Sports FAQs

Who is eligible to join a Club Sport?

You may join if you are a current NC State student or a Carmichael Complex faculty/staff member. You may also participate through the inter-institutional exchange with Meredith and Peace College. alumni, Centennial Campus affiliates, Carmichael Gym household members and distance education students are not eligible to participate in club sports.

Individual club constitutions and/or governing bodies of the club may impose additional specific guidelines as to club membership provided these guidelines are non-discriminatory in nature.

Is there membership fees to join?

Yes, clubs charge dues to become a member. Dues payments help defray the cost of travel, equipment and other expenses. They vary from $5 per semester to $1,000 per academic year.

Are there tryouts?

Some clubs do host tryouts due to limited space and equipment. Many clubs have multiple teams that compete on varying levels to encourage higher participation. Please email the club to find out more information about tryouts. Club email addresses can be found on the club sports directory.

Do I need experience in order to participate?

All clubs encourage students of all experience levels to come out and give their sport a try. Some clubs do host tryouts and make cuts based on talent and skill level, but many clubs have some form of recreational or lower-competition level option to learn and improve in that sport as a club member.

Can I create a new club?

We recognize other sport-related student organizations might wish to seek club sports status. Student groups must be registered student organizations for at least two years before applying to become a club sport. For more information on the requirements and application process to become a club sport, please use the following resources.

Club Sports Membership Application

Club Sports Membership Budget Application

Intramural Sports FAQs

Who is eligible to play Intramural Sports?

All current NC State students faculty/staff, along with alumni, household members, and Centennial Campus affiliates with Carmichael Gym memberships are eligible to participate in intramural sports.

What leagues of play are offered?

The leagues commonly offered by Intramural Sports are (vary based on sport):

  • Men’s Competitive
  • Men’s Recreational
  • Co-Rec Competitive
  • Co-Rec Recreational
  • Women’s
  • Fraternity
  • Sorority
  • Graduate/Faculty/Staff/Alumi (No gender restriction)
  • Open (No gender restriction)

What is the difference between Competitive and Recreational leagues?

Competitive leagues feature a 3 or 5 week regular season followed by a single-elimination tournament for teams that qualify for the playoffs. The winner of each Competitive league receives Intramural Sports championship t-shirts.

Recreational leagues are designed for participants that are looking to play for fun, winning is secondary. Recreational leagues feature a 5 or 7-week regular season with no playoffs. All leagues are considered Competitive leagues unless specified as Recreational (i.e. all Fraternity, Sorority, Grad/Fac/Staff, and Open leagues are Competitive leagues).

All leagues are considered Competitive leagues unless specified as Recreational (i.e. all Fraternity, Sorority, Grad/Fac/Staff, and Open leagues are Competitive leagues).

How many teams can I play on?

You may participate on one single-gender team and one co-rec team in the same sport. In individual/dual sports, participants may play in singles and doubles for both single-gender and co-rec leagues in the same activity. For example, a male student may participate on both a men’s competitive flag football team and a co-rec recreational flag football team, but a female participant could not participate on a women’s team and a sorority team.

What if I don’t have anyone to play with?

Intramural sports does not place individuals directly on teams. You can sign up as a free agent on IMLeagues and teams looking for players can contact you. Remember that teams can add players to their roster through the regular season and postseason. Many players have been picked up by teams simply by going out to the fields or courts and asking around.

When and where are games played?

Generally, Intramural Sports are scheduled between 5 – 11 p.m. Sunday-Thursday. Some leagues and events will take place outside of those hours. Games take place at Carmichael Gym, Miller Fields, Method Road Fields, Wolf Village Sand Volleyball Courts, Wolfpack Training Center and Centennial Fields. Be sure to check IMLeagues for the location and time of each specific league/event.

What do I do if my team cannot make a game?

As a courtesy to opponents and to avoid being charged with a forfeit, teams may request a default for games they will be unable to attend. All defaults must be made known to us by 3 p.m. on the day of the game. For games scheduled on Saturday or Sunday, notification must be made by 3 p.m. on Friday. Participants should fill out the Intramural Sports Default Form in order to default their games.

How do I know if my game is still on due to weather?

We will make initial decisions concerning the postponement or cancellation of games due to inclement weather by 3 p.m. Sunday – Friday, however, the status of scheduled games may change throughout the evening due to changing conditions. Participants should call (919) 515-7529 and select “2” for “Intramural and Club Sports” to reach the field status hotline for this information. The hotline will be updated as weather conditions change.

If intramural sports games are cancelled, the team captain will receive notification through email. Teams should not assume that games are canceled simply because of rain, nor should they assume the fields are open simply because it looks sunny at their location. Due to limited facility space, it is not guaranteed that games will be made up due to inclement weather or field conditions.

Can we reschedule our playoff game?

Due to facility space and time limitations, playoff games through the Round of 16 will not be rescheduled. For quarterfinal, semifinal, and championship games, team captains will have the opportunity to fill out this Playoff Reschedule Request Form. Please fill out this form in order to request an Intramural Sports game to be rescheduled. This form must be submitted at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled game you are requesting to reschedule, for Monday through Friday games. This form must be submitted by Thursday at 5:00 p.m. for Sunday games.