We offer a wide range of wellness programming including lifestyle modification programs, wellness workshops and special events.
The Elements of Wellness
Wellness is the connected and interactive combination of six elements that foster a balanced, holistic life. This is achieved by having: love for what is done each day, security of finances, vibrancy of physical health, self-awareness and emotional resiliency, quality relationships, and pride in what is contributed to our communities.
Regularly engaging in meaningful and satisfying work that aligns with personal values and goals.
The awareness of current financial position and budgets and having resources to meet basic needs by saving and spending wisely.
The opportunity to contribute and connect individual passions and strengths that foster a safe and supportive environment.
Managing health through regular exercise, eating a balanced, nutritious diet and maintaining adequate sleep.
The ability to be self-aware and cope with challenges and needs while developing overall resiliency.
Developing supportive networks by cultivating new or existing relationships.
NC State is proud to participate in the following national wellness initiatives:
The Partnership for a Healthier America Healthier Campus Initiative
- A three-year commitment to make the campus healthier by adopting guidelines around food and nutrition, physical activity and programming. The commitment works with the private sector and PHA honorary chair first lady Michelle Obama to make healthier choices easier.
- NC State was the first to implement all 23 guidelines in the first year of its commitment to encourage healthier options to more than 40,000 students, faculty and staff.
- University Recreation partners with University Dining and Transportation on this initiative.
Healthy Campus 2020
- Partnering with the American College Health Association (ACHA) as a Healthy Campus Partner, Healthy Campus 2020 provides 10-year national objectives for improving the health of all students, staff and faculty on campuses nationwide.
Exercise is Medicine On-Campus
- In partnership with the Counseling Center and Student Health Services, this medical and counseling referral program prescribes students exercise to alleviate mental health and chronic disease symptoms. The Exercise Is Medicine® program at NC State received a gold-level recognition from the American College of Sports Medicine.
Staying Active While You Are BusySeptember 16, 2019
As the semester begins to pick up and your schedule fills with obligations, it can be very easy to let physical activity slip through the cracks.
Self Care and Time ManagementSeptember 3, 2019
At Wellness and Recreation, we consistently promote the practice of “self care” to students, faculty and staff.