One Change: Goal Setting for a Better You
With a new year comes new opportunities and new beginnings. Many of us will set new goals and resolutions and this year, NC State Wellness and Recreation wants to help you accomplish them.
What is goal setting?
Goal setting describes the process of identifying something you want to accomplish and establishing measurable goals and timeframes for achieving those goals.
What are S.M.A.R.T. Goals?
Goals help to identify an aim or desired outcome. Whether your goals are personal or professional in nature, the S.M.A.R.T. goal framework helps provide clarity on your desired outcomes and ensures you set realistic and meaningful goals for yourself. S.M.A.R.T. goals are:
- Specific: Your goal should be concise, yet contain enough detail for it to be clear what you want to accomplish.
- Measurable: Identify milestones and tools you can reference to track your progress toward meeting your goal. After all, how can you know you’ve met your goal if you don’t know what success looks like?
- Attainable: Meeting your goals is a great confidence booster. Consider the skills and behaviors necessary to accomplish your goals, the challenges you may encounter and what resources you can leverage to work around those goals and ensure your success in meeting your goals.
- Relevant: Reflect on why you want to achieve this goal and ensure this objective is aligned with your identified goal.
- Time-bound: Finally, identify the deadline by which you’d like to accomplish this goal. Ensure this timeline is realistic for your life but also motivates you to push toward accomplishing your goals in a timely manner.
Benefits of goal-setting
Goal setting gives you direction and helps you prioritize what is important. It also provides motivation and a sense of control over your future. While you work toward your goals, you gain a sense of purpose in your life and when you accomplish your goals, you acquire a sense of personal satisfaction.
How can we help you achieve your goals?
Work with a wellness coach
Wellness coaching is designed with you in mind. Your coach will help you identify your holistic wellness goals and develop a set of strategies to ensure you reach those goals. One of the greatest benefits of working with a coach is that you’ll receive the support and accountability you need to succeed in reaching your goals. Whether it’s establishing goals for your well-being, academics or personal life, coaching will provide personalized strategies for planning and overcoming obstacles for success.
One Change Series
Designed to help provide you with a variety of resources, support and accountability, our One Change series is a great option to help you achieve your goals. With everything from gym orientations to relaxation stations, you don’t want to miss a session.
|Wednesday, February 20||NC State Wellness Fair||11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.||Talley Student Union Ballroom|
|Wednesday, February 27||Financial Wellness 101||7:00 a.m||Carmichael Recreation Center, Room 1608|
|Wednesday, March 6||Relaxation Station||All Day||Carmichael Recreation Center, Room 1608|
|Wednesday, March 6 Evening: 5:30 p.m.||Healthy Eating on the Go||Lonnie Poole Golf Course||RSVP|
|Wednesday, April 10||Tomorrow in Focus||Witherspoon, Room 201||Thursday, March 7|
|Wednesday, May 8||Developing Resilience: Bounce Back From the Setbacks||Talley Student Union, Room 4280||Thursday, April 11|
Climb and Thrive
“Climb and Thrive” is an opportunity for students to explore the high ropes on the Challenge Course, relax, make s’mores around the campfire and reflect on their own wellness needs. Transportation will be provided to and from the Challenge Course and food and hot beverages will also be provided. To register and pay the $5 fee, visit the Outdoor Adventures Equipment Rental Center, located in the lobby of the Carmichael Recreation Center Monday-Friday between 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Questions can be directed to:
Coordinator, Wellness Programs
P: (919) 513-2834