Wellness and Recreation plays a critical role in creating a healthy Wolfpack community that values wellness and understands its impact on student achievement, degree completion and alumni success with the embodiment of the Think and Do spirit. Our facilities, services and programs address many of the top impediments to academic success and assist students in acquiring the skills and resilience needed to thrive in college and beyond.
Facts and Figures
Wellness and Recreation’s reach on campus extends far and wide. Through partnership and collaboration, we are able to share the message of wellness to all members of the Wolfpack community.
- More than 25,000 NC State students participate in Wellness and Recreation, including 62.6 percent of all Recreational Sports Fee paying students.
- The Wellness and Recreation Center and Carmichael Gym had 882,978 visits during the 2021-22 academic year.
- Wellness and Recreation annually employs 650 NC State students.
- 89 percent of students living on-campus participated in Wellness and Recreation programs and services.
Impact of Wellness
Since 1961, Carmichael Gym has been the central hub for the health, wellness and physical education for the NC State community. The Wellness and Recreation Center and Carmichael Gym provides 450,000 square feet of fitness, wellness and recreation spaces that are welcoming, open, accessible and sustainable.
Data indicates stress, sleep deprivation, anxiety and depression are four of the top five academic impediments affecting NC State students. Research continues to show that exercise improves neurological and cognitive abilities which help to ease mental health ailments.
Through our traditional, high-impact programs, such as intramural sports, club sports, fitness and outdoor adventures, students can connect, engage and find their place at NC State in a healthy, active way. Wellness and Recreation has also adopted several programs, including Exercise is Medicine® and wellness coaching, to strategically combat these issues. In partnership with the Counseling Center and Campus Health, these programs allow physicians and clinicians to prescribe exercise for students to alleviate mental health and chronic disease symptoms.
The Impact of Giving
Student development is integral to the success of our organization. We employ more than 650 students employees annually who embody our vision for well-being, empowering them to develop problem-solving, communication and decision-making skills. The Wellness and Recreation Friends and Family Student Employee Scholarship was established to provide financial assistance to two undergraduate student employees who uphold the mission, inspire others to live active and well, exhibit leadership qualities, contribute to the success of the team and serve as role models for healthy and balanced living. Check out our past award recipients.
Our goal to inspire a thriving Wolfpack community starts with our programs and services. Your support helps connect students to a variety of programs and opportunities that enhance academic success by developing skills and resilience needed for college and beyond.
- Annual gifts or endowment funds would support the operating costs of intramural sports, club sports, fitness, outdoor adventures or special events like RecFest and the Moonlight Howl and Run.
- $1,000 annual gift or $50,000 endowment would provide 12 students with five hours of prescribed personal training sessions through the Exercise is Medicine® program or five hours of one-on-one wellness coaching sessions each year.
- $15,000 annual gift would support university-wide student wellness initiatives, including wellness fairs, Healthy Campus Week, Destress Fest, outreach education programs and wellness appraisals.
Wellness and Recreation aims to provide a central hub for well-being on campus. Inspiring the next generation of thinkers and doers requires state-of-the-art facilities. Your support will help ensure that the impact on student fees is minimized for future wellness endeavors. We have a variety of major naming opportunities for the Wellness and Recreation Center and Carmichael Gym.
Alumni and Friends
Wellness and Recreation alumni go on to do amazing things after their time here at NC State, and we want to stay in contact with you all! Here are a few ways you can keep in touch:
- Wellness and Recreation Membership: For alumni in the great Raleigh area that are Alumni Association members, consider purchasing an alumni membership!
- Join us on Social Media: Wellness and Recreation has both a Facebook Group and a LinkedIn Group for our former team members to stay informed about the happenings at WellRec and to share exciting news and information with other alumni.
- Leave your Legacy: The next generation of Wolfpack alumni can benefit from your support!
- Share your Story: We want to know what you have been up to since you left NC State, or how your time with Wellness and Recreation left an impact on you. Submit the form below to share with us!
How to Support
Whether your affiliation is as an alumnus, parent of a student, faculty, staff, or someone who simply shares our belief of inspiring wellness, we value your support. Your advocacy makes a difference for NC State University, our students and our community.