Wellness and Recreation empowers the Wolfpack community to thrive. Together, we explore and grow in these six elements of wellness: purpose, financial, physical, emotional, social and community. We value movement and inspire behaviors that improve health and well-being. Our programs, services and facilities enhance academic success by assisting students in developing skills and resilience needed for college and beyond.
To inspire a culture of wellness by providing premier, innovative and inclusive programs, services and facilities that promote healthy, active lifestyles to enhance student success.
To inspire a thriving Wolfpack community.
NC State Wellness and Recreation has rapidly evolved since its inception in 1923 when the Department of Physical Education and Athletics was established. As the fitness and recreational needs of the Wolfpack community grew, so did the department. In 2002, the Department of Campus Recreation was established and operated alongside Physical Education and Carmichael Complex. By 2010, the Department of Campus Recreation and Carmichael Complex Department merged and created University Recreation to better serve the NC State community. In 2018, the department was renamed NC State Wellness and Recreation to better align with our mission, value and impact.
Wellness and Recreation encourages and supports the participation of individuals with disabilities in all programs and services. To facilitate opportunities for people with and without disabilities to engage in recreational pursuits together, we provide inclusion support services, including, but not limited to, staff support and adaptive equipment.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, NC State will honor requests for reasonable accommodations made by individuals with disabilities.
Requests can be served more effectively if notice is provided at least 10 days before the event. Direct accommodation requests to:
Coordinator, Member Services
P: (919) 515-7488
Assumption of Risk
Updated August 1, 2023
Sports and recreational activities have inherent dangers and physical risks that no amount of care, caution, instruction, or expertise can eliminate.
These dangers and risks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Loss of or damage to personal property;
- Broken bones, strains, sprains, bruises, heart attacks, heat exhaustion, concussions, paralysis, and other personal injuries, or even death, that could result from tripping, falling, contact with other individuals, exposure to inclement weather, and equipment failure, among other causes; and
- Exposure to contagious diseases such as COVID-19.
By voluntarily participating in sports and recreational activities through NC State Wellness and Recreation and using Wellness and Recreation facilities and equipment,
- You assume responsibility for all risks and liabilities, known and unknown, that may arise from your participation; and
- You acknowledge and agree that your voluntary participation is in reliance upon your own judgment and knowledge of your own experience and capabilities.
We strive to provide the very best recreation, wellness and fitness programs, services and facilities. We welcome and value your feedback, comments, and questions – please reach out!