Facts and Figures
Our reach on campus extends far and wide. Through partnership and collaboration, we are able to share the message of wellness to all members of the Wolfpack community.
- More than 25,000 NC State students participate in Wellness and Recreation, including 62.6 percent of all Recreational Sports Fee paying students.
- The Wellness and Recreation Center and Carmichael Gym had 882,978 visits during the 2021-22 academic year.
- Wellness and Recreation annually employs 650 NC State students.
- 89 percent of students living on-campus participated in Wellness and Recreation programs and services.
Wellness and Recreation plays a critical role in creating a healthy Wolfpack community that values student wellness and understands its impact on student achievement, degree completion and alumni success.
Our facilities, services and programs address many of the top impediments to academic success and assist students in acquiring the skills and resilience needed to thrive in college and beyond. Our goal to inspire a culture of wellness begins with the embodiment of the Think and Do spirit.
The Impact of Wellness
Since 1961, Carmichael has been the central hub for the health, wellness and physical education for the NC State community. More than 75 percent of NC State undergraduate students participate in Wellness and Recreation programs and services with more than one million individuals visiting the facility annually.
Data indicates stress, sleep deprivation, anxiety and depression are four of the top five academic impediments affecting NC State students. Research continues to show that exercise improves neurological and cognitive abilities which helps to ease mental health ailments.
Wellness and Recreation has adopted several programs — including Exercise is Medicine® -On Campus and wellness coaching to strategically combat these issues. In partnership with the Counseling Center and Campus Health, these programs allow physicians and clinicians to prescribe exercise for students to alleviate mental health and chronic disease symptoms. Both programs focus on developing adherence and sustainable healthy behaviors through education and empowerment.
About Wellness and Recreation
Wellness and Recreation Center provides 450,000 square feet of fitness, wellness and recreation spaces that are welcoming, open, accessible and sustainable.
Wellness and Recreation provides traditional, high-impact programs that allow students to connect, engage and find their place at NC State in a healthy, active way. Intramural Sports, Club Sports, Fitness and Outdoor Adventures programs are more popular than ever, and continue to play a significant role in the out-of-classroom student experience.
The Impact of Giving
Student development is integral to the success of our organization. We employ more than 650 students employees annually who embody our vision for well-being, empowering them to develop skills in problem-solving, communication and decision making. The Wellness and Recreation Friends and Family Student Employee Scholarship provides financial assistance to student employees that embody well-being.
The Wellness and Recreation Friends and Family Student-Employee scholarship was established to provide financial assistance to two undergraduate student-employee who uphold the mission, encourage and inspire to live active and well, are respected by student employees and peers for leadership qualities and innovation, are reliable and willing to contribute to the success of the team and serve as a role model for healthy and balanced living.
View all scholarship recipients here.
Our goal to inspire a thriving Wolfpack community starts with our programs and services. Your support helps connect students to a variety of programs and opportunities that enhance academic success by developing skills and resilience needed for college and beyond.
- $1,000 annual gift or $50,000 endowment would provide 12 students with five hours of prescribed exercise personal training sessions each year through the Exercise is Medicine® program.
- $1,000 annual gift or $50,000 endowment would provide 12 students with five hours of one on one wellness coaching sessions each year.
- Annual gifts or endowment funds that support the operating costs of Intramural Sports, Club Sports, Fitness, Outdoor Adventures and/or special events such as RecFest and the Midnight Howl and Run.
- $15,000 annual gift would support university-wide student wellness initiatives that include but are not limited to:
- Wellness fairs
- Healthy Campus Week
- Finals Survival Week
- Outreach education programs
- Wellness appraisals
- $1,000 annually or $25,000 endowment would provide 12 students with five hours of one on one wellness coaching sessions each year.
Our goal is to provide a central hub for wellness on campus. Inspiring the next generation of thinkers and doers requires a state-of-the-art facility. Your support will help ensure that the impact on student fees is minimized for all future wellness endeavors.
Three major naming opportunities for Wellness and Recreation:
- At almost 92,000 square feet, the Wellness and Recreation Center opened in October 2020.
- The existing 42,500 sq. ft. Recreation Center, opened in 2007, includes strength and conditioning spaces, multipurpose fitness and teaching studios, outdoor adventures rental area center and classroom/meeting spaces.
- The Carmichael Gymnasium Renovation completed in 2016, to update locker rooms, expand fitness spaces and improve the “look and feel” of existing corridors and user spaces. These address accessibility and safety deficiencies.
How to Support
Whether your affiliation is alumnus, parent of a student, faculty, staff member or someone who simply shares a belief of inspiring wellness, we value your support. Your advocacy makes a difference for NC State University, our students and our community.
Support our vision of wellness and give today.Make Your Gift