Indoor Climbing Wall Hours
Spring 2020 Hours
Effective March 17, the indoor climbing wall is closed.
Monday, January 6 – Friday, May 1
|Monday – Thursday||6 p.m. – 10 p.m.||Sunday, March 8 – Saturday, March 14|
|Friday||5 p.m. – 8 p.m.|
|Sunday||4 p.m. – 7 p.m.|
Climb With Us
If you are a first-time climber with us, please sign the acknowledgment of risk and policies form (anyone under 18 years of age must have a parent’s signature) during your visit. Bring your Wolfpack One Card for each visit.
- Please wear climbing or athletic shoes.
- We require helmets to be worn while climbing and recommend them for belaying and bouldering.
- If you are climbing above shoulder-height, a top rope belay is required.
- We provide equipment for your use:
- Belay Devices
- You may use your eco-ball, harness, shoes, helmet and hardware.
- We do not allow climbing chalk or personal ropes.
Climbing Basics Clinics
Take one of our climbing basics clinics to learn the basics of rock climbing and belaying. The cost of these clinics is $10.
- You must register at the Outdoor Adventures Equipment Rental Center.
- Payment can be made in cash, checks made out to NC State University, or credit/debit card. We accept Visa and MasterCard.
- No refunds will be issued.
- If you need to cancel we will do our best to reschedule you in another clinic.
Spring 2020 Climbing Basics Clinics
|Thursday, March 19||7:30 – 9:30 p.m.||$10|
|Tuesday, March 24||7:30 – 9:30 p.m.||$10|
|Wednesday, April 1||7:30 – 9:30 p.m.||$10|
|Thursday, April 9||7:30 – 9:30 p.m.||$10|
|Tuesday, April 14||7:30 – 9:30 p.m.||$10|
|Wednesday, April 22||7:30 – 9:30 p.m.||$10|
If you have previous experience belaying or have completed our belay clinic, you must pass our safety skills assessment to belay at our climbing wall. Safety skills are performed daily.
Have a group you want to bring to the climbing wall? We offer custom programming so any group can come and have the climbing wall for themselves. For more information please complete the custom program form below.Make a Reservation
Gym to Crag: Skills for Climbing Outside
This skills-based class will assist gym climbers in gaining appropriate knowledge of climbing outside. This class will assist climbers in making the transition from a gym climber to an outdoor climber. Topics that will be covered in this class are:
- Personal Anchors
- Two Point Anchor Building
- Safely Accessing Top Rope Bolts
- Transitioning from Lead
- Transitioning to Rappel
All participants will need to attend all five sessions of this class.
Spring 2020 Schedule
|Monday, March 16||5 – 6 p.m.||Carmichael Gym Indoor Climbing Wall|
|Wednesday, March 18||5 – 6 p.m.||Carmichael Gym Indoor Climbing Wall|
|Monday, March 23||5 – 6 p.m||Carmichael Gym Indoor Climbing Wall|
|Wednesday, March 25||5 – 6 p.m.||Carmichael Gym Indoor Climbing Wall|
|Sunday, March 29||6 a.m. – 7 p.m.||Pilot Mountain State Park|
|Student Rate||Member Rate|
Monday, March 16
- Climbing Specific Leave No Trace principles
- Personal Anchors
- Anchor Building
Wednesday, March 18
- Extended Rappel
- Transition to Rappel
Monday, March 23
- Natural Sling Anchors
Monday, March 25
- Practice skills
- Prepare to climb outside
Sunday, March 29
- 6 a.m.: Trip starts. Check-in at the Carmichael Recreation Center at the Outdoor Adventures Equipment Rental Center.
- Load the van and start driving to Pilot Mountain State Park.
- Arrive at Pilot Mountain, unload the climbing gear and walk to the climbing area. Eat lunch at the climbing area (included).
- Finish Climbing, pack up the gear and hike back to the van.
- Load the van and start driving back to campus.
- Return to campus and clean up the equipment.
- 7 p.m.: Trip Ends.