Wellness and Recreation’s mission is to inspire a culture of wellness by providing premier, innovative and inclusive programs, services and facilities that promote healthy, active lifestyles to enhance student success. Wellness and Recreation is proud to be a leader of wellness at NC State and has built a multifaceted approach to inspire and engage the entire Wolfpack community in healthy, active living.
- Group Fitness provides more than 80 classes every week designed for every fitness level. Challenge yourself by taking cycling, TRX®, yoga, BODYPUMP™, Zumba® or other fitness class formats to experience firsthand how we make fitness fun.
- Our nationally certified personal trainers take a science-based approach to develop safe and effective programs tailored to your individual needs, goals and interests. No matter if you are a seasoned fitness veteran looking for that next step or brand new to exercise, we have a trainer who wants to work with you. Take the structured workout to the next level with small group training where our coaches lead workshops on Olympic lifting, boxing and more.
- Our ThriveWell staff offers health education programs for students and university groups. Learn stress management techniques, strategies to stay active at NC State and lifestyle modification tips from our team of experts. Sessions can be facilitated in the Wellness and Recreation Center and Carmichael Gym, residence halls, offices or other areas to meet the specific needs of a group.
- Intramural sports are perfect for those who are looking to compete against fellow NC State students in a variety of team sports, tournaments and special events such as flag football, basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball and some nontraditional sports like pool battleship and cricket.
- If you want a more competitive sports experience, check out one of our club sports teams that include but not limited to rugby, lacrosse, bass fishing, rowing and triathlon. These student-led organizations practice regularly and compete against other colleges and universities at local, state and national levels.
- Outdoor adventures programs offer students unique outdoor trips and educational clinics. Also, students may rent outdoor equipment from the rental center and climb to new heights on the indoor climbing wall. Challenge yourself or build teams through customized low and high-rope element programs at our challenge course located in Schenck Memorial Forest.
- Wellness and Recreation employs more than 750 students annually in a variety of positions. Students enhance their development through practical application and learn transferable skills that will prepare them for their future career.
The Wellness and Recreation Center and Carmichael Gym provide 430,000-square-feet of recreation, fitness and wellness spaces. Features include:
- Fitness Centers
- Performance Studios
- 11 Indoor Basketball/ Multipurpose Courts
- Teaching Kitchen
- 25-yard Pool and Dive Well
- 50-meter Pool
- Climbing Center
- Indoor Track
- Racquetball Courts
- Squash Courts
- Personal Training Suite
- Men’s and Women’s Locker Rooms
- Single Occupant Locker Rooms
- Steam Room and Sauna
- Day Use Lockers
- Social Lounges
Wellness and Recreation manages numerous outdoor facilities that promote healthy, active living.
- Miller Outdoor Recreation Field
- Method Road Recreation Complex
- 12 Outdoor Tennis Courts
- Four Outdoor Basketball Courts
- FitGround Outdoor Functional Training Area
- Centennial Campus Recreation Fields
- Centennial Campus Disc Golf Course
NC State Wellness and Recreation has rapidly evolved since its inception in 1923 when the Department of Physical Education and Athletics was established. As the fitness and recreational needs of the Wolfpack community grew, so did the department. In 2002, the Department of Campus Recreation was established and operated alongside Physical Education and Carmichael Complex. By 2010, the Department of Campus Recreation and Carmichael Complex Department merged and created University Recreation to better serve the NC State community. In 2018, the department was renamed NC State Wellness and Recreation to better align with our mission, value and impact.
- 32 Professional Staff Members.
- More than 750 students are employed annually.
Last Updated: December 18, 2020